The boyfriend and I took a little day trip to Dayton, Ohio, and stopped in at Lucky’s Taproom & Eatery. I ordered a piece of their bacon chocolate cake. I wasn’t crazy about the pieces of bacon on top of the cake, but I loved the way that the bacon grease melted into the chocolate frosting for a decadent marriage of savory and sweet. So I came home and whipped up this flourless chocolate bacon grease cake with that taste still lingering in my memory.
It’s a simple flourless chocolate cake, but instead of using butter alone, I used half butter and half bacon grease. I had recently unlocked the homesteader’s achievement of collecting a full Ball jar of bacon grease, so I was excited to whip up some new recipes. If you’re wondering what you should do with all that leftover bacon grease…do this!
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 4 tablespoons salted butter
- 4 tablespoons bacon grease
- 3/4 cup raw granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1.) Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly grease an 8" round cake pan; cut a piece of parchment or waxed paper to fit and lay it in the bottom of the pan.
- 2.) Put the chocolate chips, butter, and bacon grease in a microwave-safe bowl, and heat until melted, about 1 minute and 30 seconds. You can also melt them on the stovetop on low.
- 3.) Pour the melted ingredients into a mixing bowl with the sugar and vanilla and mix together. Add the eggs, and beat the mixture until combined. Sift the cocoa powder into the bowl while mixing and mix until smooth.
- 4.) Pour the mix into your cake pan.
- 5.) Bake the cake for 25-30 minutes. Remove from the oven, and cool it in the pan for 5 minutes.